Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hola Panama City

There was only one truly memorable moment on my seven hour bus journey back to Panama City.  This was the sight of a massive waterfall cascading down a heavily treed mountain which seemed to originate in the sky.  It must have been some sort of illusion with a higher peak behind, but it was incredible!

With this thrill in my back pocket I arrived at Hostel Mamallena in the Perejil district of the city.  I was welcomed by a few dogs and a bunch of what I consider unfriendly people; however the place is nice enough with hammocks and a garden area to chill in.
Casco Viejo - Looking Out at a Long Line of Cargo Ships

Casco Viejo - Looking at the Panama City Skyline


I set out to explore Casco Viejo, the colonial style old part of the city, which was built in 1671 and conceived as a walled city to protect its settlers against future pirate attacks.  It was designated a World Heritage Site in 2003 and today is a mix of some derelict and some refurbished structures, all set with the gorgeous backdrop of the Pacific Ocean.  Looking out one can see the impressive Panama City Skyline to one side, and a long line of cargo ships waiting for entrance into the canal to the other.

I started out walking to get there, finding myself feeling further and further lost, I stopped to ask for directions.  Spanish Practice #1: They told me I was far, had gone the wrong way, and it would be best to take a cab as it was a dangerous area.  So I hailed the cab, and quickly was thrust into Spanish Practice #2: I knew the general direction (see Spanish Practice #1), and realized the cab was not going where I had asked…so I had to communicate this and swiftly!  It was all a misunderstanding and the rest of the ride we had a good chat.  Finally I had arrived to Casco Viejo, although I’m sure with a couple extra grey hairs.





Exploring the area was fun - many breathtaking views, placid squares, art galleries and cafes lined the narrow streets.  Working up an appetite, it was time for Spanish Practice #3: asking for a restaurant recommendation from one of the shop keepers.  I communicated that I wanted something delicious but cheap, as I expected most places around there were high priced as it is a fairly touristy area.  I was pointed in the direction of a more local eatery on a side alley and was thankful I had asked.

After my meal I successfully completed the walk home; second times a charm for me people!  It led me through a promenade type street void of cars and filled with fruit and trinket vendors.  It was during this journey that I completed Spanish Practice #4 and Spanish Practice #5 respectively.  


Spanish Practice #4: commenced as I noticed women set-up on the side of the street with extra chairs and side carts of nail polish, how perfect!  I got a much needed toe nail polish change (fuchsia with white tips, which is all the rage here) and chattered with the girl for 20 minutes in the street. 

Spanish Practice #5: quickly followed, and complemented nicely my new pedicure.  I stopped at a magazine stand and picked out a Spanish Glamour magazine.  I told the vendor-ette how I was trying to learn Spanish and planning to read one article per day, she thought this was great and gave me an extra magazine for free!

3 comments:

  1. I am happy you eventually arrived at Casco Viejo as reading that you were wandering around, briefly I hope, lost in dangerous areas adds to MY gray hairs! You must have a pretty good command of the language as it sounds like you are making out just fine when you have to communicate. Well done! The woven baskets are so pretty. Are you seeing any treasures you just have to bring/send home yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie! Your blog is amazing, I love hearing all about your adventures and seeing the beautiful scenery. You are going to be quite the Spanish speaker when you return, we will have to make a trip somewhere Spanish-speaking and you can teach me too! Keep living it up my friend! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh so fun! I want to fly down and play with all those puppies and kittens! Sounds like you are picking up lots of Spanish!! When will you be home so we can start intensive training??

    ReplyDelete