Thursday, May 5, 2011

MIAMI under the Mighty Greek God Zeus’s Rule

After a long red eye flight I arrived in Miami and boarded the #150 bus to Miami Beach, after a quick change run, the local C bus delivered me to my final destination, South Beach.  In the Art Deco district, my hostel was pumping techno and people were sprawled everywhere under the neon glow of lights.  I later learned this is always the case, whether it be at 2pm in the afternoon when you arrive, 10am when you wake up, or 5am when you come stumbling home! The constant party hostel in the ultimate party city.
South Beach Art Deco District


Night one I decided I better join the club night and find the South Beach heat.  Before the ridiculous hummer limo picked us up, we all got our drink on at the hostel.  Mostly European’s and Aussi’s, it was a laugh getting to know everyone.  Mansion fulfilled its name, a huge club with different rooms/levels, a sweet dance floor, and outrageously expensive drinks.  This meant more dancing and less drinking, which worked out pretty well for me.  Found the heat, and then it was to the beach for a walk home to cool off. 

The next afternoon I spent some time on Spanish practice at the beach, before I got tropical rain showered out.  After the showers subsided my new friend Jason and I went on an adventure to Little Havana, west of downtown Miami.  The bus took us through the Venetian Islands, home to huge mansions, most of which had yachts docked in front, as if they didn’t have enough room inside! 
Mmmm, Fresh 

Little Havana is a gorgeous, lush neighborhood filled with mango trees and delicious mystery berries (pomegranate/ leeche/raspberry taste) and was well worth the trip.  While discovering the neighborhood we stumbled across Versailles, which seemed to be a local staple so we stopped for a late dinner - incredible company and Cuban grub was topped off with a pitcher of Sangria.  After figuring out the confusing bus ride back to South Beach, the rest of night was controlled by the Greek God of the Skies Zeus.  Full of surprises and serendipitous moments; I couldn’t concoct a better Miami fantasy if I tried!
Miami Beach


Zeus let up a little on Friday, so I spent the day at the beach, which is beautiful white sand with very warm, crisp teal water, and the night chilling at the hostel.  Miami was the perfect segway into Central America – I shall arrive in Panama perfectly baked and extremely happy!   





No comments:

Post a Comment